Developers spend a fair chunk of time during their development flow on fixing relatively trivial problems in their code. pre-commit.ci both enforces that these issues are discovered (which is opt-in for each developer’s workflow via pre-commit) but also fixes the issues automatically, letting developers focus their time on more valuable problems.
In order to install
pre-commit.ci, I signed in using my GitHub account and granted access to both repos, and that was it! I had already created the
.pre-commit-config.yaml file for
pre-commit, and although it is not required I did add a
ci section to that file and customize the
autoupdate_commit_msg value to match the Conventional Commits style I adopted back in February. Learn more about
pre-commit.ci configuration here.
This is how my
.pre-commit-config.yaml file looks:
autoupdate_commit_msg: 'build(pre-commit.ci): pre-commit autoupdate'
- repo: https://github.com/psf/black
- id: black
- repo: https://github.com/PyCQA/isort
- id: isort
- repo: https://github.com/PyCQA/flake8
- id: flake8
- repo: https://github.com/PyCQA/pydocstyle
- id: pydocstyle
pydocstyle “is a static analysis tool for checking compliance with Python docstring conventions.” It can be installed via
python -m pip install pydocstyle or alternatively you could use
pydocstyle.py source file directly as it is self-contained.
pip-installing it, I did run into a few issues, mainly because of the
Also, I was lucky to run into
pydocstyle right after they enabled full
toml configuration and
pyproject.toml, since I was already using
isort. In my case I had to add the following section to my
pyproject.toml file on the Ignition project:
convention = "google"
add_ignore = ["D205", "D415"]
And since I am copying the docstrings provided by Inductive Automation and they don’t subject themselves to
PEP 257, I did have to ignore the following error codes:
D205: 1 blank line required between summary line and description
D415: First line should end with a period, question mark, or exclamation point
Both apply to the summary line expanding over more than one line.
Also notice that on the
pydocstyle on my
.pre-commit-config.yaml I had to add
toml as an
additional_dependency, otherwise you might run into issues when running
So now I use
pydocstyle, in that order as recommended by Anthony Sottile himself here, all enforced using
Lastly, if you can, please consider supporting Anthony Sottile via GitHub Sponsors to show your appreciation.
Thanks for reading!